Skip to main content

Personalized Family Tree Paper Cut - Anniversary Gift

Last Tuesday, it was 19 years exactly since I sashayed down the aisle of Canford Magna Church, with my hair in angelic ringlets and sporting a beautiful princess dress.  19 years ago my cousin married her childhood sweetheart and gave me the privilege of being her bridesmaid.

Lisa is extremely family orientated, she home educates her children and is like no Mother I have ever met - her offspring are very lucky.  We lived together for a large part of my childhood and she is pretty much my big sister.  She is the one I turn to when life has hit me hard, the one I celebrate with when I have caught a break and the one who is always supportive and never afraid to give me her true opinion if she believes it is for my own good.

All of this means the pressure for me to show her how much she means to me is enormous!  Originally I had the soppy idea to buy them both the Now 1993 album - however this was a bit of a gamble.  They got married in 1993, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they loved the music of that year.  It was a no-brainer, I needed to find something meaningful and personal to them - A true reflection of just how wonderful they are.

Whilst researching ideas to make for the Christmas fete, I stumbled across the wonderful sentiment of a Family Tree paper-cut that was personalized with each of the family members names.  I won't link to any as it isn't really fair to the wonderful Artists for me to pick apart their work.  Needless to say I was smitten!

The prices of these online were £40+ for a framed piece, initially I couldn't understand why the price was so high, but after spending 4 hours designing just the tree, I soon realized why.  My first draft (from start to finish) took about 5 hours, and after initially being very positive, my heart sank once I finally had it framed.  Here is the first draft;


It just didn't look right :( I am a shrewd perfectionist, and to me this cut looked exactly like it was - someone saw the pricey ones online and made a bad attempt at replicating.  By now it was midnight and I had arranged to deliver the present first thing in the morning.  I could have cried, how could I possibly hand this over as a gift?

After a largely sleepless night (filled with frustrating dreams of digital design and cutting) I decided to give up on sleep and make a second attempt.  I knew that the problem with the first attempt was that my OCD for symmetry was being over-whelmed by this more 'organic' design.

My second attempt wielded this, and I am in love!



I am pleased to say that my cousin loved it!  One of the first things she said was; "you should try and sell these" - that's the plan!

I can't say too much now, but I have a few more in the design process for Christmas presents ;)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colour B4 Extra Strength Review - Part Two Using the Dye Remover and helping to prevent re-oxidation

If you haven't already read it, you should really check out Part One of this as it details preparation, it can be found here Well it is done and I am rather impressed with the results, even if I do say so myself!  There were a few things that I did differently this time and I will go through the entire process and then share the finished result. You will need; Sectioning Clips Comb Colour B4 Extra Strength Cling Film Two beanie style hats Hair Dryer Shower Bucket Loads of Patience Step One Start by sectioning your hair and clipping the upper portion to the top of your head.  If like me you have long hair, it is best to start with the underneath layers.  I found the easiest way to apply the remover was to take a small section of hair (no more than an inch wide) and squirt a small amount into my gloved hands and start with the ends carefully rub it in.  I usually applied 3 squirts to each section; end, mid length and root.  Time should be taken to ensure each squ

Superdrug Colour Rewind - Hair Dye Remover Review - Part One

I started dying my hair at the grand old age of 15 - fast forward to 12 years later and my hair has become a dried out mop of horror.  I started with black - I loved Marilyn Manson and Slipknot and needed the world to view my hair as an extension of my sheer awesomeness!  This phase lasted until I was about 19; almost 4 years of the darkest of darks layered over my hair. I alternated between black, black-blue, black-purple and even tried dip dyed black and red.  At 19 I wanted a change and decide to bleach it so I could dye it red - after an initial day of ginger (luckily I was favouring the sporty baseball cap in this period) I switched to a dark red.  Next came a few years of alternating between different shades of red and then various browns. When we started trying for a baby in 2010 I was worried that the constant dying of my hair whilst pregnant could cause development issues - I went to a professional hair dresser and had blonde highlights put through my then dark brown

Replacement Blades for the Silhouette Cameo - UK users

From the moment I purchased my Silhouette Cameo I was in love.  The only way I could justify the cost was to start up a business , the only problem with this was the cost of the blades.  I was getting through a blade every few weeks, at just under £16.00 (including postage) for a single blade it was getting very expensive.  I knew that once business picked up I was going to either have to increase prices (never a good idea for new businesses) or take a big knock in profits.  The only solution I could see was be to try and find a cheaper solution to the blades. I was first made aware of using disposable blades by Ligaya's Creativity Zone .  She had had success with an aluminium (CB09) Blade Holder.  This blog was invaluable for advice on the different angled blades available and suppliers of the CB09 Blade Holder. The only drawbacks were the seller was based in Asia (have been stung for import taxes before, and it is a hefty amount) and there were reports that the holder act