Skip to main content

Rockabilly Giant Cupcake Baby Shower Cake

So two of my closest friends are about to pop!  Seriously, they are both due within a week of each other and there is now less than a month to go!  So when I was asked if I could make the cake for one of my friends surprise baby shower, how could I refuse?

This friend and I have very similar tastes.  I am in awe of her amazing clothes, cats eye glasses and ever present trade-mark red lips.  So I knew if I liked the cake, she would too ;)  This friend had the most rocking wedding cake ever!  I was seriously up against some stiff competition in the awesome factor.  Take a peek if you don't believe me;


A few of you may remember I made a giant cupcake for my mother in law a few years ago, (you can find the original post here) well in keeping with my friends wedding cake, I thought it would be awesome to do another giant one :)

I really wanted to make this cake personal to my friend, and knew that a plain giant cupcake just wouldn't fit the bill.  In my head I knew I needed polka dots, swallows, tattoos and of course leopard print!  I wanted to do the cake base in a really dark blue and polka dot fondant, with the cake iced in blood red 'roses'.  In my head it looked awesome, but I knew that pulling it off may be a bit trickier.


Yep, I'm sure you've noticed the flowers are pink :( I wanted blood red and even bought coloured food GEL to achieve this, but for whatever reason the icing would just not budge from pink!


Man was this cake heavy!  I ended up having to use our black Wedding Cake board just to easily transport the thing.  It seriously weighed more than both our dogs put together!


I did toy with the idea of a rolled fondant leopard print board, but when I found this fab ribbon in my ever expanding craft stash, I knew it would be perfect :)


We know they are having a boy, but the name is being kept top secret until the birth, so I anointed him Crouch Junior ;)


My last cupcake also featured a chocolate shell casing, but I had severe melting issues when applying the ribbon :( I learnt from my past mistakes and increased the chocolate quantity and switched to all plain - It held up fantastically.


I did consider making this out of painted fondant, but I wisely chose to print it instead (using the print and cut function on my silhouette cameo of course!).  I figured this way it could be removed and scrap booked as a memento should my friend want.

The cake and frosting are orange flavored, and coupled with the thick plain chocolate shell, it was divine!

I love giant cupcakes, as they are fairly easy to decorate and look fantastic!

If you would like to make your own, please check out the links to all the different components :)

To make this super orangey, I substituted the vanilla essence for 4 teaspoons of orange essence, and decreased the milk to only 2 table spoons.
You can also add the zest of an orange too!
I had enough batter left over to make two small Victoria sponge cakes from too :D


I doubled the quantity of this as I wanted enough to assemble, crumb coat and pipe the roses
Again, substitute the vanilla extract for 4 teaspoons of orange essence - you may need to add a bit more icing sugar to get it to the right consistency


My friend love the cake, and went so far as to say it was far better than one they had recently had professionally made for £90 - Happy face!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colour B4 Extra Strength Review - Part Two Using the Dye Remover and helping to prevent re-oxidation

If you haven't already read it, you should really check out Part One of this as it details preparation, it can be found here Well it is done and I am rather impressed with the results, even if I do say so myself!  There were a few things that I did differently this time and I will go through the entire process and then share the finished result. You will need; Sectioning Clips Comb Colour B4 Extra Strength Cling Film Two beanie style hats Hair Dryer Shower Bucket Loads of Patience Step One Start by sectioning your hair and clipping the upper portion to the top of your head.  If like me you have long hair, it is best to start with the underneath layers.  I found the easiest way to apply the remover was to take a small section of hair (no more than an inch wide) and squirt a small amount into my gloved hands and start with the ends carefully rub it in.  I usually applied 3 squirts to each section; end, mid length and root.  Time should be taken to ensure each squ

Superdrug Colour Rewind - Hair Dye Remover Review - Part One

I started dying my hair at the grand old age of 15 - fast forward to 12 years later and my hair has become a dried out mop of horror.  I started with black - I loved Marilyn Manson and Slipknot and needed the world to view my hair as an extension of my sheer awesomeness!  This phase lasted until I was about 19; almost 4 years of the darkest of darks layered over my hair. I alternated between black, black-blue, black-purple and even tried dip dyed black and red.  At 19 I wanted a change and decide to bleach it so I could dye it red - after an initial day of ginger (luckily I was favouring the sporty baseball cap in this period) I switched to a dark red.  Next came a few years of alternating between different shades of red and then various browns. When we started trying for a baby in 2010 I was worried that the constant dying of my hair whilst pregnant could cause development issues - I went to a professional hair dresser and had blonde highlights put through my then dark brown

Replacement Blades for the Silhouette Cameo - UK users

From the moment I purchased my Silhouette Cameo I was in love.  The only way I could justify the cost was to start up a business , the only problem with this was the cost of the blades.  I was getting through a blade every few weeks, at just under £16.00 (including postage) for a single blade it was getting very expensive.  I knew that once business picked up I was going to either have to increase prices (never a good idea for new businesses) or take a big knock in profits.  The only solution I could see was be to try and find a cheaper solution to the blades. I was first made aware of using disposable blades by Ligaya's Creativity Zone .  She had had success with an aluminium (CB09) Blade Holder.  This blog was invaluable for advice on the different angled blades available and suppliers of the CB09 Blade Holder. The only drawbacks were the seller was based in Asia (have been stung for import taxes before, and it is a hefty amount) and there were reports that the holder act