Great British Bake Off Week Two - BiscuitsSo it is no secret that I am in love with Great British Bake Off! This year I have decided to do a little bake-along each week, inspired by whatever theme the weeks programming is.
Week two was biscuits and I decided to create some vanilla shortbread. In truth, the only biscuits I generally make are cookies, so I was quite excited to try these, especially as they are a favourite of the Mr! They were surprisingly easy to make and went down a treat.
2. Sift the flour, ground rice and salt together onto the creamed mixture and stir in, using a wooden spoon until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. I tend to do this gently to try to keep mixture really light.
3. Gather the dough together with your hand and turn onto a clean worksurface. Knead lightly until it forms a ball, then lightly roll/shape into a sausage about 2 inches (5 cm) thick. Do all this a gently as you can.
4. Wrap in cling film and chill in fridge for at least a couple of hours
5. unwrap the roll and slice into discs, about 1/3-1/2 inch (7-10 mm) thick.
6. Roll the edge of each biscuit in golden sugar.
7. Place the biscuits on two baking sheets lined with greaseproof paper ... spread them out a bit as they will expand.
8. Bake at 190C (375F) for 15-20 minutes, depending on the thickness, until very pale golden.
9. On removing from the oven sprinkle with caster sugar. Leave on a baking sheet for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.