Skip to main content

Kitchenaid Vs Kenwood

For as long as I can remember I have coveted a KitchenAid mixer.  It's sleek 1950s design calls to me and KitchenAid's reputation for being a workhorse in the kitchen has convinced me that my baking life would be enhanced by this object of beauty.  I've watched every season of The Great British Bakeoff and dreamed of replicating the recipes with my very own pastel beast.

I am fortunately now in the position to buy one but here's the rub, spending £386 on a glorified kitchen appliance is causing palpitations.  I refused to spend that amount on our fridge or dishwasher and these are considered vital kitchen equipment (in our house anyway).

Every blog or discussion forum I have gone to in my bid to research the KitchenAid Artisan has harbored a set of equally passionate Kenwood kMix owners that are proving that performance wise their machine can't be beaten.  They are the first to admit that it does not look as beautiful as the KitchenAid Artisan (although the newer KMX80 is a big improvement in the looks department) but many claim to keep it in a cupboard when not in use.  The ultimate statement of 'Its definitely not as pretty, but I am buying a mixer, not a work of art' from a kMix owner is one that I'm struggling to argue with logically.

In an effort to try and help thrash this argument out, let's compare the two machines specifications side by side.

KitchenAid Artisan - £386.10 Currys

  • Power 300w
  • Capacity 4.8 litres
  • Attachments Available Yes
  • Speed Levels 10

Amazon Reviews - 4.7/5 from 262 reviews

Kenwood kMix KMX80 - £299 Curys

  • Power 500w
  • Capacity 5 litres
  • Attachments Available Yes
  • Speed Levels 8

Amazon Reviews - 4.7/5 from 572 reviews

I know that there are cheaper models of the kMix available, but for me aesthetics will play a big part in my decision and so I had to choose a model that I would be happy to have on display, as space is at a premium in my wee kitchen!

On paper it is a bit of a no-brainer, the kMix is not only cheaper, the attachments are too and it is definitely the stronger model.  However in my heart I worry that if I were to buy the kMix it would feel like settling for something.  I fear that I would regret my decision and always wish I had spent a bit extra on the machine I have always lusted for.

After all, if the KitchenAid Artisan is good enough for the bakeoff tent, then it should be good enough for me!

Does anyone have experience with either of these models?

Comments

  1. Also lusting after a Kitchen Aid! Great article though and good to know there are different alternatives out there

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I've got a Kitchen Aid and it is worth every penny! It is BEAUTIFUL and is such a joy to use. It is so heavy and sturdy and I think it will last way beyond my lifetime. Mine is on the kitchen counter all the time and I bake a lot more since having it as it is there ready to use and very easy to clean. It is worth looking in local kitchen shops indent just online as they sometimes have offers on if you are flexible on the colour as they get stuck with the more unusual ones.
    Mine was £299 about 4 years ago and it came with a free ice cream maker and is black with silver glitter in it, which suits me but isn't to everyones taste! think you will regret it if you get the other one! Natalie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Natalie!

      I will definitely start scouring the local kitchen shops for a bargain :)
      Lakeland had a free accessory pack and glass mixing bowl with all KitchenAid Artisan mixers last December, so I'm not sure whether to wait until Christmas before buying!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Colour B4 Extra Strength Review - Part Two Using the Dye Remover and helping to prevent re-oxidation

If you haven't already read it, you should really check out Part One of this as it details preparation, it can be found here Well it is done and I am rather impressed with the results, even if I do say so myself!  There were a few things that I did differently this time and I will go through the entire process and then share the finished result. You will need; Sectioning Clips Comb Colour B4 Extra Strength Cling Film Two beanie style hats Hair Dryer Shower Bucket Loads of Patience Step One Start by sectioning your hair and clipping the upper portion to the top of your head.  If like me you have long hair, it is best to start with the underneath layers.  I found the easiest way to apply the remover was to take a small section of hair (no more than an inch wide) and squirt a small amount into my gloved hands and start with the ends carefully rub it in.  I usually applied 3 squirts to each section; end, mid length and root.  Time should be taken to ensure each squ

Superdrug Colour Rewind - Hair Dye Remover Review - Part One

I started dying my hair at the grand old age of 15 - fast forward to 12 years later and my hair has become a dried out mop of horror.  I started with black - I loved Marilyn Manson and Slipknot and needed the world to view my hair as an extension of my sheer awesomeness!  This phase lasted until I was about 19; almost 4 years of the darkest of darks layered over my hair. I alternated between black, black-blue, black-purple and even tried dip dyed black and red.  At 19 I wanted a change and decide to bleach it so I could dye it red - after an initial day of ginger (luckily I was favouring the sporty baseball cap in this period) I switched to a dark red.  Next came a few years of alternating between different shades of red and then various browns. When we started trying for a baby in 2010 I was worried that the constant dying of my hair whilst pregnant could cause development issues - I went to a professional hair dresser and had blonde highlights put through my then dark brown

Replacement Blades for the Silhouette Cameo - UK users

From the moment I purchased my Silhouette Cameo I was in love.  The only way I could justify the cost was to start up a business , the only problem with this was the cost of the blades.  I was getting through a blade every few weeks, at just under £16.00 (including postage) for a single blade it was getting very expensive.  I knew that once business picked up I was going to either have to increase prices (never a good idea for new businesses) or take a big knock in profits.  The only solution I could see was be to try and find a cheaper solution to the blades. I was first made aware of using disposable blades by Ligaya's Creativity Zone .  She had had success with an aluminium (CB09) Blade Holder.  This blog was invaluable for advice on the different angled blades available and suppliers of the CB09 Blade Holder. The only drawbacks were the seller was based in Asia (have been stung for import taxes before, and it is a hefty amount) and there were reports that the holder act