Skip to main content

Humane Organic? Think Again

I have always had very strong views when it comes to animal cruelty.  About 10 years ago I started becoming more aware of how farmed animals were treated and the sometimes inhumane way in which they were killed and processed for meat.  I do truly believe that humans were designed to be carnivores, but I also believe that animals that are destined for the table should be given the best life possible and slaughtered in a dignified way that is as free of pain and stress as possible.

I was suckered into the organic movement a few years ago by Jamie Oliver and co.  He led me to believe that organically reared animals had a much better life and were slaughtered in a humane way.  To my ears it was perfect, the benefits of meat without the cruelty.  I carried on blissfully buying organic produce, (when money permitted) but after reading 'The Fertility Diet' by Sarah Dobbyn, I started to question the effects of consuming meat and dairy.  I even tried cutting out dairy and meat - I lasted less then a week.  I now knew that there was conflicting evidence about how good meat actually was for you, but I had decided to put it out of my mind in favour of my beloved dairy.

Fast forward to January 2013 - we had suffered another miscarriage and I had been told by the wonderful NHS that we were on our own until I reached 30.  They claimed IVF was our only hope and to consider egg donation to bring down the cost of private treatment.  How could I make both the financial and emotional sacrifice for something that in my head would only end in one way - another loss.  It wasn't fair, I only wanted to be a Mother - something that so many take for granted.  Most women believe that motherhood is a right, I know it is a privilege.

I decided to do the dramatic - I planned to go vegan.  The results of Sarah Dobbyn were impressive; Women that followed the strict regime not only conceived naturally or had successful IVF, they also carried a healthy baby to term.  Her small study (I believe it was 300 participants) showed no birth defects, and no losses - a pretty miraculous result.

I knew it was going to be hard, I knew the motivation of a baby should be more then enough to keep me on track, but I just felt so over-whelmed.  Then the horse meat scandal broke last month.  In all honesty I thought that the reaction was hilarious.  People enraged that they had unwittingly consumed poor horses, the word disgusting seemed to be everyone's favourite reaction to eating this meat.  I couldn't believe the hypocrisy! To my way of thinking, if you are happy to slaughter an animal for meat, or enslave a cow or goat for dairy then you have no right to be picky about the kind of animal you eat.  I could understand if people were upset about being misled, but to the majority this didn't seem to be their issue - just the fact that they had ingested horse.

Channel 4 dispatches ran a program on the horse meat scandal which we watched about two weeks ago.  In truth I was working at the laptop and not really paying much attention.  I happened to glance up at a point where they were showing horses being prepared for slaughter.  They were being forced into a narrow partition and once positioned they would be killed.  As scenes go it wasn't all that harrowing - I have seen much worse.  But these horses sensed that something wasn't right.  They were fighting against being forced into the chute and they were losing their footing whilst they struggled to back out.  Something in me seemed to click.

I turned my work off instantly and began looking into the various slaughterhouses around Britain.  I had never been naiive enough to believe that the animals had a nice nap whilst they were killed completely unaware, but I had thought that animals would have had the stress levels decreased as much as possible - after all a traumatic death taints the taste of the meat.

Unsurprisingly I stumbled across many Peta and Viva sites - it made for horrific reading.  I had always know that dairy farming was possibly crueler than meat farming, but had again thought that organic meant that the cows were somehow compensated with a better life.  Peta claimed that organic farming was sometimes crueler as a heffers mastitis was left completely untreated as it would taint the milk.  Organic dairy cows could be left in agony as they were unable to receive the same kind of medical treatment that 'standard' cows were offered.

The worst offender of it all has to be egg farming.  I will admit to being very naiive when it came to chickens laying eggs.  I thought that as there was no pregnancy involved that it was somewhat kinder to the animals.  I haven't bought anything accept free range eggs for quite some time and presumed I was being an informed consumer.  WRONG Although De-beaking (the act of clipping a chickens beak to stop them causing damage whilst fighting) with a blade is illegal, it is still widely practiced throughout the UK.  One of the most upsetting things that I learnt, was what happens to male chicks - a so called by-product of egg farming.  Once the chicks are hatched, they are sorted by sex.  The females are destined to become layers, whilst the male chicks are considered waste.  These poor chaps are used as a combination of reptile food and plant mulch.  As if this wasn't sad enough, they are taken straight from the hatchery (usually by conveyor belt) and are either gassed, or in some instances fed live into a mincer.  I don't think I can ever look at a commercially bought egg in the same way again.

Viva has claimed that this is the dark side to egg farming that companies have tried to hide from consumers - they are right.  We are bombarded with images of happy chickens scamping about the farmyard, whilst bedding down in lovely hay filled barn, I knew this was far from reality, but was still shocked at what I leart.  Most people know the horrors that actually await chickens born into 'none free-range' egg production, but the industry has tried to clean up it's image by making 'battery' chicken laying illegal (only since early 2012), but new legislation states that the new 'enriched' cage only needs to have an extra postcard sized space per hen than the old style cages.  This is still not enough for them to spread their wings and the bottom line is, they are still caged.  So surely free range chickens must have a glorious life?  Sadly no, free range farming is now so intense that although the hens are not caged, they are still confined to indoors.  The latest free range egg farming technique is too keep them all in a covered barn, where they will see little or no sunshine.  The space is still cramped and feather pecking (despite beak mutilation) and cannibalism is rife.  When a chicken slows down egg production, they are slaughtered.

So what about organic meat?  When you have celebrity chefs and the media telling you how much better the lives of organic animals are, surely they must be killed in a more dignified way?  Sadly no, these animals are slaughtered at the same abattoir as general meat, and usually suffer the same degradation and abuse as others.  When I started to look a little closer, the news was not nice.  It would seem almost every UK abattoir has been reported for staff causing physical and mental abuse to animals either through negligence or just a shocking desire to torture them.  The FSA has had to step in many times when either whistle blowing, or video footage has surfaced showing staff physically abusing animals - usually to jeers and laughter.  It would seem that for some people their job role was an opportunity for them to unleash some of their darker fantasies.

So, do I still think that animals should be reared for food?  Yes, but now even more so then before I believe it should be done in a way that reduces stress and anxiety for the animals - both in life and the moment of slaughter.  I still dream of owning a small holding, but for now will just be abstaining from all meat and dairy produce.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colour B4 Extra Strength Review - Part Two Using the Dye Remover and helping to prevent re-oxidation

If you haven't already read it, you should really check out Part One of this as it details preparation, it can be found here Well it is done and I am rather impressed with the results, even if I do say so myself!  There were a few things that I did differently this time and I will go through the entire process and then share the finished result. You will need; Sectioning Clips Comb Colour B4 Extra Strength Cling Film Two beanie style hats Hair Dryer Shower Bucket Loads of Patience Step One Start by sectioning your hair and clipping the upper portion to the top of your head.  If like me you have long hair, it is best to start with the underneath layers.  I found the easiest way to apply the remover was to take a small section of hair (no more than an inch wide) and squirt a small amount into my gloved hands and start with the ends carefully rub it in.  I usually applied 3 squirts to each section; end, mid length and root.  Time should be taken to ensure each squ

Superdrug Colour Rewind - Hair Dye Remover Review - Part One

I started dying my hair at the grand old age of 15 - fast forward to 12 years later and my hair has become a dried out mop of horror.  I started with black - I loved Marilyn Manson and Slipknot and needed the world to view my hair as an extension of my sheer awesomeness!  This phase lasted until I was about 19; almost 4 years of the darkest of darks layered over my hair. I alternated between black, black-blue, black-purple and even tried dip dyed black and red.  At 19 I wanted a change and decide to bleach it so I could dye it red - after an initial day of ginger (luckily I was favouring the sporty baseball cap in this period) I switched to a dark red.  Next came a few years of alternating between different shades of red and then various browns. When we started trying for a baby in 2010 I was worried that the constant dying of my hair whilst pregnant could cause development issues - I went to a professional hair dresser and had blonde highlights put through my then dark brown

Replacement Blades for the Silhouette Cameo - UK users

From the moment I purchased my Silhouette Cameo I was in love.  The only way I could justify the cost was to start up a business , the only problem with this was the cost of the blades.  I was getting through a blade every few weeks, at just under £16.00 (including postage) for a single blade it was getting very expensive.  I knew that once business picked up I was going to either have to increase prices (never a good idea for new businesses) or take a big knock in profits.  The only solution I could see was be to try and find a cheaper solution to the blades. I was first made aware of using disposable blades by Ligaya's Creativity Zone .  She had had success with an aluminium (CB09) Blade Holder.  This blog was invaluable for advice on the different angled blades available and suppliers of the CB09 Blade Holder. The only drawbacks were the seller was based in Asia (have been stung for import taxes before, and it is a hefty amount) and there were reports that the holder act